
IN CONVERSATION WITH ZANELE SABELA
Loading player...
The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is gravely concerned
about the five workers trapped at Ekapa Mine in Kimberley, Northern Cape
11:10
since the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The miners were reportedly trapped after a mud rush. So far rescue efforts
have not succeeded in bringing them above ground. Fears are mounting that
water and mud are impeding access to the 800-metre-deep shaft, making the
rescue mission even more challenging. Our thoughts are with the workers and
their families at this challenging time. COSATU echoes the stance of its Affiliate,
National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the National Union of Metalworkers
of South Africa (NUMSA) as they call for transparency and more details of the
rescue mission to be provided to ease the stress on the families of the trapped
miners.
Commenting on safety at mines last week, the Minerals Council of South Africa
said mine safety was at an all-time high compared to 1994 but expressed
concern about the increase in falls-of-ground fatalities. Labour unions, the
industry and the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources have
committed themselves to the goal of Zero Harm. In line with this, COSATU is
calling on all stakeholders to join hands and put all resources to bear to ensure
the trapped miners are brought back to safety urgently.
Following the rescue, no stone should be left unturned in probing the cause of
the mud rush. Government must ensure that mining companies keep to their
commitment of striving for Zero Harm.
about the five workers trapped at Ekapa Mine in Kimberley, Northern Cape
11:10
since the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The miners were reportedly trapped after a mud rush. So far rescue efforts
have not succeeded in bringing them above ground. Fears are mounting that
water and mud are impeding access to the 800-metre-deep shaft, making the
rescue mission even more challenging. Our thoughts are with the workers and
their families at this challenging time. COSATU echoes the stance of its Affiliate,
National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the National Union of Metalworkers
of South Africa (NUMSA) as they call for transparency and more details of the
rescue mission to be provided to ease the stress on the families of the trapped
miners.
Commenting on safety at mines last week, the Minerals Council of South Africa
said mine safety was at an all-time high compared to 1994 but expressed
concern about the increase in falls-of-ground fatalities. Labour unions, the
industry and the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources have
committed themselves to the goal of Zero Harm. In line with this, COSATU is
calling on all stakeholders to join hands and put all resources to bear to ensure
the trapped miners are brought back to safety urgently.
Following the rescue, no stone should be left unturned in probing the cause of
the mud rush. Government must ensure that mining companies keep to their
commitment of striving for Zero Harm.

